Good Riddance Lost

Category: ,


I've been thinking about Lost on and off ever since the finale aired.  Believe me, I wasn't happy.  It seemed to me like they didn't answer anything at all.  I understand that actors get older, or won't come back to the show.  But you spent six years developing a story line, and in the last season you introduce new things and only answer those things.  It didn't sit right with me.  I know the people that like it say that it was perfect and beautiful way to give the characters closure.  I get what happened.  Just not what I wanted.

All that aside, I think somethings about Lost makes a connection with Christianity. (Not the all paths and being a good person will get you to heaven, when you are ready to go, thing though.) Our lives are complicated busy things.  Intricate details are all around us.  There are things that we dwell on, (like what was so special about Walt), and they become what is important to us.  A lot of things we don't understand, why things happen, what happened, whatever.

But I think what God is concerned about is the final result of the journey.  Just like Lost.  While being wrapped up in details and unanswered questions loomed, the story ultimately brought the people where they ended up, and it didn't matter how they got there.  Faith should be the same thing.  Some of us have complex twisting pasts that have brought us to where we are today in our lives.  We can't possibly understand why things happened, why did that person die, why did I get fired from that job, why did that person leave with no explanation.  God had a plan for you.  Those things were there because they brought you to where you are.  They equip you for something more, something maybe only you can handle.  When we end up serving and being a part of God's plan, the minute details that brought us on the journey aren't really as important.

The important part of my Christianity is not what has happened, but what I will do next, for the glory of God.  How will I respond?

Comments (0)