Twitter

Category:

So, I think we should all use Twitter. I've read what people have said about who it could be useful for churches, and I must say, I'm on board. I'm all about leveraging technology where ever I can. I enjoy reading what the people I follow have to say. It's less work than Facebook, or mySpace. It's kinda like a miniblog, right on your cell phone.


But here's why I am sold on it for churches. Churches run on information. If the information doesn't get out, that's bad. If it's not received in a timely fashion, that's bad. Twitter is a simple and most importantly, free, way to get information right to members cell phones or computers instantly. Let think about this. It's Saturday Night, about 9pm. You realize that the terrible winter storm that is coming is going to be hitting any second. At 11pm you realize the roads are too dangerous for early morning drives. You Twitter an alert out the says, "We are canceling early service due to the weather, but still plan on doing the 10 and 1130." Now any one following that feed has up to the second information sent directly to their cell phone or computer.

Here's the catch. The people that get the information are only people that want it. Oh, and standard text message rates do apply. So don't set too many things to text directly to your phone. It could get pricey. Oh, did I mention it was free. I know on a weekly basis that our church sends out a mass email, probably to many people that visited our church once and haven't been back in years. With Twitter, no managing the huge contact list. If someone wants the info, they decide to follow it. When they don't want it any more, they unfollow it. Simple.

I don't think that Twitter is for everyone. Only people that are relatively tech savvy. But man is it fun.

By the way, you can follow me on Twitter by clicking on the thing on the right bar of this page. The church has one too. Go to twitter.com/mtcarmelchurch. Follow it and get info of what is going on.

Not too deep a blog this time. More of an advertisement.

Comment (1)

On bored or on board? Meanings take me to different places! =)