It's not about you

Category:

As Christians, I feel like we should be constantly serving, no questions asked. Our faith gives us a responsibility. Until we understand that, are we really fulfilling what it means to be a Christian? This week, I've been disappointed by things, that normally wouldn't get to me. I'm just seeing the selfish nature of human beings. The fact that we look out for ourselves first and foremost.


Why is that OK? Why isn't our inclination as Christians to be serving like Christ.

So, I was bringing some stuff into the church. I had 18 bottles of juice. And at least 6 people saw me making trip after trip, 4 bottles at a time, and never said, "Hey let me help you." Most of those people had the time. They had nothing going because long after I was done, they were still hanging out. Where is the servant nature in the church? Why do we feel like it has to be a big organized thing for us to serve others?

Another thing going on is the non-commital nature of people that I am noticing. When I get volunteers to help me, I want them to own there role, and look at it as an offering of service to God. But the disappointing thing is that people are too afraid to commit to a long term of service. Or if something else comes up, then this service takes the back seat.

Is that what pleases God? Are we supposed to look at service in the church as a job, something that can burn us out? Or are we supposed to look at everything we do in service to the church as an offering of praise and worship to God?

Worship of God is not only singing. Giving is not always money. When we became Christians, we were supposed to die to ourselves. But I feel like we as modern day Christians die to ourselves, when it doesn't get in the way of ourselves.

Being a Christian is not going to be easy. That's a given. That's a plain fact. In America, we want you to become a Christian and here is the easy way we do it: don't worry about commitment to anything to big, or hard; just make sure you come to church when you can; don't worry about serving, we understand your job is stressful; make sure that what you do at church is feel good about yourself, and have fun.

It's more than that! It's not going to be easy. DIE TO YOURSELF!! Daily. It's not going to be an easy thing. And once you have it, model it so others see it.

Comments (0)